what I've been doing lately

shop
So last year I had some kind of existential crisis where I decided I didn't have any marketable talents. Who I thought I should be marketing my talents to, I don't remember. Anyway, I decided to get a talent. Or something. I bought a sewing machine. Things got weird.


I had never sewed anything in my life. Anything. When I was supposed to sew bean bags for a college class, my mom watched me try for a few minutes before taking over and saying "why don't you and Tom go to a movie or something?" So we went to a movie, and when we came back, I had 60 bean bags waiting for me. That is my experience with sewing. I don't know why I suddenly felt so compelled to have the ability to sew, but I did. And here's what happened after that:

My first ever project was the girls' Halloween costumes for 2014. I guess I figured if everything went horribly, they were too young to freak out about not having anything to wear on Halloween? I don't know, it was ballsy. They turned out okay.



If they were green, they'd obviously be Yodas. But since they're white and fuzzy, they're obviously sheep and I'll hear nothing to the contrary. Let's not expect too much here, people. First time I ever used a sewing machine in my life and I chose to make a bubble dress out of fleece and faux sheep fluffy fabric. And adapt a doll hat to fit actual humans. And made up how to attach ears to said doll human hat. I said things got weird. 
So after that, Santa made a teepee for Christmas.


Then I got back on the horse and made some other things. Random, random things. A crate cover for Janaye's dog. I fixed some clothes. Bean bags. Full circle here, people.

A few months later, I needed a baby gift for a friend's baby. After a lot of random brainstorming and procrastinating and stuff, I designed my first custom fabric and used it to make my first custom baby blanket. Things kinda spiraled out from there.

Now I do this:

shop
shop
shop
shop

shop
shop
shop
shop
shop
shop
shop
shop
They started as baby shower gifts...and then my girls were wondering (read: Lyla was asking. repeatedly.) why they didn't have "name blankets like the babies." So I made them some. Then my cousin's girls, then some more baby gifts, then some orders for friends, and now some orders for Etsy. Originally I only had designs for girls. Well really, I only had designs using watercolor flowers and there's not a huge market for boy baby blankets with watercolor flowers. But now, boys can get in on the action, too!

If you're one of the people that's asked me about them...or if you're not but now you want one, you can find them at my Etsy shop here. Or if you're local and want one, shoot me an email or text or facebook message. I also do burp cloths with the same name fabric, I've just done a terrible job of taking pictures of them before I ship them/give them away so I don't have a listing for them yet.

And just for fun, here are this year's Halloween costumes.





Love my little bacon bits.

1 comment:

  1. Love these blankets! Fun fact my husband had to teach me how to turn a sewing machine on. I'm severely challenged. Their Halloween costumes are equally adorable.

    ReplyDelete